Monday, January 14, 2013

We can't rewind we've gone too far

So, not too sure about taking the weekend off from blogging.  But, this is a malleable beast, so we'll see. 

Thought I'd touch on another one of my obsessions today.  Music.  I consider myself a bit of a music fanatic.  At one point, I was convinced I wanted to be a radio DJ, to the point where I had actually been accepted to school for it.  Then the corporation takeover of radio happened, shutting down hundreds of smaller radio stations and turning them into corporate shills that save money by not having live DJs on the air anymore, computerizing almost every aspect of the station.  In my area, there is only one FM station that didn't feel the effect of this, and that was because one philanthropist stepped in to save his favorite radio station before it came to that.  You may have heard of him, he's kind of a big deal.

My obsession with music has waned quite a bit these last few years.  Some might write it off to nostalgia, that I'm reaching an age where I crave the music of my youth.  They wouldn't be wrong, but it's not the whole picture.  You see, my biggest issue is, currently, popular music is shit.  Interchangeable auto-tuned tarts re-iterating the same music over and over while wearing as little as possible to seem risque.  Niki Minaj, Ke$ha, and I'm sure there are more, I just can't be bothered to remember their names.  There are some exceptions, but not as many as you might think. 

Modern alternative is suffering from a similar issue.  Take Green Day for instance.  They had a couple of decent albums in the early to mid 90's, then they put out a few crappy ones and just kinda dropped off the radar.  Then they came up with a concept album.  A return to the glory days of punk music, questioning The Man and telling him off.  American Idiot was an amazing punk album, the best since London Calling by the Clash.  Sadly, it was completely wasted on the masses.  Now it seems like they're just dialing it in, putting out pseudo-folk punk music that is absolute shit, but sells, so whatever. 

Don't get me started on the fall of metal music to so-called "hardcore" bands.  I'm sorry kids, it's noise.  It's cacophony that lacks rhythm or beat, it's just chaos, and frankly I don't want to HAVE to be stoned out of my gourd to "get it".  I don't think it's because I'm "too old" either.  Among my favorite singers are David Draiman and Jonathan Davis.  You want to growl into a mic?  Take a note from these guys, and do it with some kind of rhythm, melody, make it part of the music, not just noise.  And yes, I'm aware that Korn hasn't put out a decent album since Issues, and that most of Disturbd's songs all sound exactly the same.

I gotta laugh at the so-called cool kids as well though.  Friends of mine crap on things like dubstep, and it amuses me greatly.  I have no issue with dubstep.  It is what it is.  It's a rhythmic dance genre, and in my mind, that makes it no different then the electronica/trip-hop that I used to listen to, or those same friends used to be into.  It's the newest version of disco, and as long as there are clubs, that type of music is needed.

So yeah.  I do love music though, and catch me in the right mood and I can fill your head with all kinds of random trivia about various artists or bands, especially from the golden era of alternative.  Just don't expect me to know anything about what the kids are listening to these days.  Except Psy.  Dude's funny.

No comments:

Post a Comment