Wednesday, January 16, 2013

When will I know that I really can't go

I'm finding it something of a fun game to find a song or movie that relates to my post, then grab a quote from it that may, or may not, be related to the topic at hand.  But, I am easily amused, and nothing sustains my ego quite like playing mind games with people.

This one might come off a bit ranty, but that is more or less my usual state of being.  I'm an optimist at heart, but I do love to bitch for the sake of bitching sometimes.  But, considering this blog is mostly for my own personal entertainment, I suppose that gives me license to do this from time to time.  Maybe if I develop a loyal readership I'll make things less personal, but I doubt it.  I'm not trying to sustain ad revenue or make people happy.

Some background should help I think.  I'm from Maine.  Right near the Bangor area actually, which means most people have actually heard of the area, because of our most famous resident, Stephen King.  This actually has a bit of an effect on my world view as a whole.  Minorities, for instance, are truly a minority here.  The most culture clash we have here is from the predominately liberal southern part of the state (dominated by transplants, or people who aren't originally from Maine) and the fairly conservative northern part of the state.  Go far enough north, and it's like you're in a whole different, French speaking part of the world.  And all of those TV shows and movies that take place in Maine?  Yeah, they're filmed in the Pacific Northwest, looks quite a bit different then the real thing.

I bring up the location for one reason.  It's snowing here today.  And that means the roads are awful.  Add in that the local company that's supposed to take care of roads in my town is completely incompetent, and I really don't like to go driving in it. And yet, I did, because the university that I worked for decided that it didn't want to cancel evening classes.  So, here I am.  The worst part of driving in this weather is not the roads actually.  I consider myself a very capable driver, and can manage quite fine on bad roads.  It's the other fucking morons who have no clue how to drive in this weather.  Tractor trailer truck flying by on one side on the interstate, while the minivan in front of you slams on its brakes BEFORE pulling off to the exit, so you have to hit your brakes and pray you don't go into a spin.

So, here I sit, at work, fuming about the fact that I had to drive in on bad roads, and have to drive home, in the dark, on bad roads.  So, you'll forgive me if I couldn't come up with a better topic today.

No comments:

Post a Comment