Friday, February 22, 2013

Come writers and critics who prophesize with your pen

I have to be careful not to get too distracted, or I may end up forgetting about this project altogether.  So, here are my thoughts on some of the events of the week, at least the ones I deem noteworthy.

Playstation 4:  I'm disappointed.  I have been a devout Sony supporter for years.  I don't own an Xbox 360.  I use my PS3 for everything from movies to games to streaming media.  I have spent hundreds of dollars on the PSN on games, DLC and add-ons.  I even owned a PSP for the longest time.  But if what they are saying is indeed true, I will not be purchasing a PS4.  It's not the lack of backwards compatibility.  I get that, gotta try and keep the cost low.  It's not the push for everything to be connected to social media.  I'm OK with that, because if I'm being very, very honest with myself, most of my social interactions are through media. 

No, the biggest issue for me is that it will be able to stream PS1, PS2, and PS3 games.  I take issue with this, not because I think it's a bad idea, but because, according to Sony, I will have to re-purchase all of the PS1, PS2 and PS3 games I already bought on the PSN if I want to play them on the PS4.  I'm not talking physical media.  Digital media.  I'm sorry, in a world where Steam exists, I fully expect my digital purchases to carry over to all the devices that are compatible.  I can load up Steam on ANY computer and access my library of games.  Why the hell shouldn't I be able to start up a PS4, put my username and password in, and access my library of PSN games?  Between this, and the Vita last year, I almost think Sony doesn't want to be in the game business anymore.

1UP and Gamespy are no more:  I have mixed feelings about this.  Frankly, IGN having 3 different sites dedicated to gaming was a bit much, so I get the downsizing.  Neither site has been worth reading in ages, as they're too obsessed with pageviews and keeping the corporate people happy to properly do games journalism.  I do think the respective editors farewell letter shines a light on maybe why it's a good thing they're going.  Gamespy's is a self-congratulatory piece of shit that goes on about how awesome they were, and then points out why they were awesome, completely ignoring the legacy of the original staff.  Fuck them, and good riddance.  1UP's is a different beast altogether.  Not surprising, since I've always respected Parish's writing, even if I abhored the pageview, ad obsessed site he ran.  He all but admits that the site has been crap for a while, primarily because of the issues I've been going on about.  He mentions some of 1UP's history, and gives credit where credit is due.  It's sad for the people employed by these sites, but maybe games journalism might benefit from learning that pageviews aren't everything if you're putting out shoddy material.

No comments:

Post a Comment